Re: stdin and stdout, vga_simple_init(), vesa.c

Search this archive.

From: Bart Oldeman (Bart.Oldeman@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Tue 05 Jun 2001 - 16:15:09 IDT

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Kevin D. Quitt wrote:

> I would like to debug my program from a telnet window and have SVGAlib use
> that window for I/O instead of the console.  Is there a built-in way to do
> that?
>
> What is vga_simple_init() for?

It is a limited init, and can be used by dosemu development versions to do
just enough initialization to be able to let dosemu use svgalib to save
and restore video card registers when switching consoles, things like
opening up ports, init MMIO, but nothing mouse related and no
privilege dropping.

We haven't been too successful with this approach; I know SiS and RivaTNT
work, so at least it's useful for some people. However a non-suid-root
dosemu is more common now and is most useful in X.

Bart