Re: svgalib_helper

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Mon 14 May 2001 - 23:16:49 IDT

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Mihai Moise wrote:

> I would like to know if svgalib_helper yields access to all of the
> memory, like /dev/mem, or just a part of it. And if it is possible to
> restrict it should we want to.

Currently it gives access to memory that belongs to pci devices of class
0x300 (vga compatibles) and the lower 1MB of memory - if accessed with
minor 0. With minor n>0 it only gives access to the memory that belongs
to pci vga card number n.

I am not sure what you mean by "possible to restrict"? If you mean by
editing the module source, then of course it can be done by changing the
mmap function. If you mean root restricting at run time access for non
root users, it is not implemented, but can be.