Problem with vga_getkey with Chips and Technology 69000 chip and MachZ embedded processor

Search this archive.

From: Dan Cutler (dcutler@infinetix.com)
Date: Mon 16 Apr 2001 - 23:52:32 IDT

I am trying to use a Chips and Technology 69000 video chip with a MachZ embedded processor.  For testing, we are using a PCI video card which plugs into the PCI bus of the ZF Micro development system.  The following simple program will hang in this setup.  Sometimes it hangs right away, other times it will run for several minutes before it locks up the system.  When run on a Pentium computer with the same card, the program works as expected by returning when a key is pressed.  By hang, I mean that the system doesn't even respond to Ctrl-Alt-Delete!

#include <vga.h>
#include <vgagl.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    vga_init();
    vga_setmode(G640x480x256);
    while(1) {
        int s = vga_getkey();
        if (s != 0) break;
    }
    vga_setmode(TEXT);
    return 0;
}

I am using version 1.4.2 of the svga library and have tried this with Red Hat 6.2 (both with versions 2.2.14 and 2.4.3 of the Linux Kernel).

Does anyone have any clues for me?

-Dan Cutler
Infinetix Corporation