Re: MTRR, Hardware scaling and nVidia acceleration

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Mon 16 Apr 2001 - 15:24:29 IDT

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Zoltan Mark Vician wrote:

> I've got some questions:
> I'd like to enable write-combinig (using mtrr), that's why i need the
> _physical_ address of the framebuffer, how could i get it?

I intend to add this, as I found it is needed for another thing (bus
mastering tv cards). For mtrr it does not seem necessary, though. There
is no sense in svgalib programs setting the mtrr's. It makes more sense
to do it in the initialization script.

> Is hardware scaling supported (using gl_scalebox or vga_accel or at all) ?

Not in any chipset right now. I do intend to add support for video
overlay, but nv3 will probably not be supported, as there is no info on
this (XFree86 does not support this as well).

> Is the nv3driver under development (for example: acceleration and 24bpp
> modes are missing) ?

It is under development, but acceleration is not in my todo list, and
24bpp is not supported by the hardware.