svgalib file structures

Search this archive.

From: James Kennedy (jsquarek@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue 03 Apr 2001 - 17:07:46 IST

Nevermind my last question.  I think I have it pretty much sorted out now:

     1.  pp 427-430 of "Running Linux" seems to give the
          information which I need regarding the syntax of
          gcc -o prog prog.c -lvga

          What I had not understood is that "lvga"

                1.  points to a _library_ not to object code
                     directly

                2.  a "lib" preclitic, or prefix, is presumed

                3.  There are multiple copies of libvga.so.1.4.2
                     and that "gecko" actually does NOT access the
                     one in ../sharedlib, but uses instead a copy
                     in
                          /usr/local/lib

                 4.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is an "environment
                      variable" which can tell gcc where to look
                      besides its normal default paths for
                      librairies.

Hope that I haven't taken up too much of your time.  On my end, the process of putting a question down in writing may have helped me sort things out for myself.  File structure is for me certainly one of the most difficult aspects of Linux, especially since programs such as gcc are so facile in dealing with it, and often have things built in which surprise me in their subtlety.