help...why dont i have i/o permissions

Search this archive.

From: David \ (Skaravia@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat 24 Feb 2001 - 16:39:54 IST

hi...
i wrote a prog to try out the svgalib. it just contains a printf-function and then the vga_init() and the setmode(TEXT) functions just to test those functions. i compiled it "gcc -O3 -o test2 test2.c -lvga.
when i try to run it now it says "SVGALib: Cannot get I/O Permissions". I looked around a little in the HOWTOs and found out that I can get root permissions for my prog when running the iopl(3); function before vga_init but that didnt change anything. can someone tell me what i do wrong.

thanx...david.

PS. Im running a SuSE 7.0