Re: liblug and reading gif files

Search this archive.

From: Jay Link (jlink@ilbbs.com)
Date: Fri 23 Feb 2001 - 06:31:33 IST

> I have include lug.h and lugfnts.h and am linking the liblug.a library with
> -llug.
> Is there a liblugfnts.a that I should be linking as well??

No -- you did it correctly.

> Do I need to be using a later version of liblug?? (i.e. 1.0.8)  If so, where
> can I find it?

If you downloaded the binary version of liblug, it appears to have some
problems. The best thing to do is to get the source & compile it yourself.
However, you will want to edit out the references to the X examples in the
Makefile. To make things easier on you, I'll mail you (privately) a copy
of my working liblug.a

> And most importantly is this the best (read easiest) way to splat a gif file
> on the screen from this app??!!

Here's my standard example. The funky part in the middle alters the
screen's palette to match the GIF's colors; otherwise, it'll look weird.

Note that I use read_lug_file(), which is an all-encompassing function
that relies entirely on the filename's extension. (i.e., if you rename a
JPEG to be .gif, you'll have problems). Your read_gif_file() should work
here as well.

   int i, r, g, b;
   byte *ptr;
   bitmap_hdr file;

   read_lug_file("chandler.gif", &file);

   for (i = 0, ptr = file.cmap; i < file.colors; i++)
   {
      r = (double)*ptr++;
      g = (double)*ptr++;
      b = (double)*ptr++;
      gl_setpalettecolor(i, r>>2, g>>2, b>>2);
   }

   gl_putbox(0, 0, file.xsize, file.ysize, file.r);

-J