Crashing with snprintf

Search this archive.

From: Steven Seeger (sseeger@stellartec.com)
Date: Wed 21 Feb 2001 - 01:11:46 IST

Thanks for your help with the cli and sti issue, fellas. I solved it before
I got the replies by upgrading to 1.4.2 anyway. :) For some reason 1.4.1 had
that problem with the RTLinux changes to system.h, but 1.4.2 did not.

Anyhow, new quetion. SVGAlib runs great on our slackware system over here.
We're having a problem on a system running Redhat 6.2 however. We keep
getting system hangs. The system is running on a PC104 small footprint
module, a 66 mhz 486. It's being used in an embedded system for a medical
device purpose. My project, running Slackware (my personal favorite) uses
nothing but a touch screen for user input and is very fun.

Anyway, when these other folks, who have masters degrees and make twice as
much as me, read in a magazine that Red Hat is oh so cool, they switched to
that and have nothing but crashing problems now. We've managed to trace the
crashing problem to sprintf. One of our guys here found out there's a bug in
sprintf, and went to snprintf. Same problem.

I then wrote ssprintf which takes a float and converts it to a string with
no decimal. That crashed it as well. Very strange.

I wrote a program that does this repeatedly after calling vga_init and
vga_setmode. The program will crash after a few minutes, and the entire
system will hang.

If we do not call vga_init and vga_setmode, the system will not crash. Does
anybody have any idea as to what this might be? If anyone is more
experienced with Red Hat than I am, my company will even consider someone a
consulting fee to help out, if it requires more personal assistance.

Thanks for your time, and for making this mailing list such a valuable
resource to people new to svgalib. My entire unix life has been with shells
and writing text based programs, and it's great to finally get into some
real systems. This is a great platform and svgalib is just awesome.

BTW, how many people do you get on this list saying "how do I get quake to
run?" :)

Steve