Re: Autodetect

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Fri 26 Jan 2001 - 11:27:07 IST

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, William Hayes wrote:

> If it is necessary to set HorizSync and VertRefresh in libvga.config for the
> target machine, does that mean that the end user of a program using SVGALib
> has to be competent enough to set these values for himself?I was hoping to
> distribute a diskette containing a minimal Linux and program that used
> SVGALib.Windows users could then boot from the diskette and run the
> program without having to know anything about either Linux or their monitor.
>
> I have seen mention of autodetect features in SVGALib, but I have not been
> able to determine whether HorizSync and VertRefresh can be reliably
> autodetected.Basic VGA graphics are all that would be required.

If you only want standard vga modes, then those lines are ignored
anyway. The vga modes have specific refresh rates, and any vga monitor
is supposed to support them.

There is no autodetection of those parameters. To add support for this,
all drivers need to have DDC support, and an EDID interpreter shouldbe
incorporated in svgalib.