Autodetect

Search this archive.

From: William Hayes (whayes@hfx.andara.com)
Date: Fri 26 Jan 2001 - 04:42:25 IST

I am new to Linux and SVGALib, and I am wondering about the necessity of
making changes to libvga.config.

If it is necessary to set HorizSync and VertRefresh in libvga.config for the
target machine, does that mean that the end user of a program using SVGALib
has to be competent enough to set these values for himself?  I was hoping to
distribute a diskette containing a minimal Linux and program that used
SVGALib.  Windows users could then boot from the diskette and run the
program without having to know anything about either Linux or their monitor.

I have seen mention of autodetect features in SVGALib, but I have not been
able to determine whether HorizSync and VertRefresh can be reliably
autodetected.  Basic VGA graphics are all that would be required.

I am aware that I have a lot of research to do, but I would like to have
some idea at the outset as to whether this approach will work.

Thanks in advance for your help.