Re: G640x480x256 - 24 bit palette?

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Fri 17 Nov 2000 - 13:51:48 IST

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Kevin D. Quitt wrote:

> How do I have SVGAlib configure a CT65545 so that the palette entries are
> 3x8 bits instead of 3x6 bits?I know it's possible, because I have an old
> DOS program that does that.

svgalib has support for this (man vga_ext_set, look for CLUT8), but most
drivers, including chips.c driver does not support this. Adding this
support should not be hard, but the program won't work as expected on
most video cards.

> And can I have SVGAlib enable the Vertical Retrace interrupt and catch it,
> or let me catch it?I need to know when it's OK to make changes.

There is no interrupt support (that would require kernel support), but
there is the vga_waitretrace() functions (which does busy-waiting for
the retrace).