Re: Hardware cursor in gl mode

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Sun 12 Nov 2000 - 00:37:03 IST

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Remenic wrote:

> I've ripped apart and played around with the 'cursor' demo in svgalib
> 1.9.something. However, I couldn't get it to work in gl mode (you know, with
> the diffirent contexts (virtualscreen, physical, etc). Anyone got some code
> for me to make this happen? The problem is, I've been working on a little
> strategy game, but the mouse is sloppy. If I look at games like RA2, then the
> mouse is amazingly smooth, no matter how slow the game is. Could I get this
> with use of the hardware cursor thing,or am I completely on the wrong road?

If the driver supports hardware cursor, than it should be
smooth. Otherwise, software cursor is used, and if you know a bit about
cursors, you know this has much more chance to be smooth if implemented
in the application itself.

> Also, is the some documentation on the hardware mouse functions?

Not much. All is in the message I sent to the list about this on
April 16, re: svgalib-1.9.4.