Re: Demos with static libs require shared libs?

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Fri 03 Nov 2000 - 14:30:10 IST

> RedHat 6.2, SVGAlib 1.4.2.No matter how I build SVGAlib, static only
> installed, shared only installed, both installed, neither - the demo
> programs, even when linked with the static libraries, give (e.g.,) the
> following message:
>
> fun: error in loading shared libraries: libvgagl.so.1: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
>
> First of all, why is it looking for a shared library?

You did not link it with libvgagl statically. Either you gave the wrong
linker switch, or the static library (libvgagl.a) is not available.

> Secondly, why libvgagl.so.1 and not libvgagl.so.1.4.2?

That's how dynamic linking work. libvgagl.so.1 should be a symbolic link
to libvgagl.so.1.4.2. Usuall, ldconfig makes those links.

> I've tried every combination.One time, fun actually ran, displaying
> graphical garbage on the screen, and locking up.When I rebooted the
> system, I got the same message above.

This problem should be investigated by running vgatest.