Re: S3 Savage-4, high res, and vga_ext_set()

Search this archive.

From: Bernie Boudet (list-01@foobar.clara.co.uk)
Date: Mon 16 Oct 2000 - 00:57:23 IST

Thanks for the reply.

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:42:59 +0200 (IST)
Matan Ziv-Av <matan@svgalib.org> wrote:

> > How can I enable the 0-255 colour scale?
>
> Support for this can be added to the vesa driver, as this option is
> supported by vesa 1.2 or newer.
> I don't know on which cards it works, though.
> This option is not supported on any driver that I wrote, so your program
> won't work on most cards.

Sorry, I don't quite follow.  Do you think it can be done... or not?

If there is a chance, what could I try to get it to work?  I'm prepared
to do some hacking on the SVGAlib internals but I only met SVGAlib a few
days ago and we haven't been properly introduced yet. :)

The reason I would like to use the 0-255 colour scale is that almost all
the gl_xxx() functions take an index, int c, into the 256 colour palette.
Working with RGB values seems to restrict the available drawing
primitives to simple pixel bashing, or am I missing something here?

> > Also, is it possible to switch the card to 1600x1200?  I know the card
> > can do it because I use this resolution in X-Windows.
>
> The vesa bios does not support this mode, so the only way to use this
> mode is to use a native savage driver.

Does anyone know if such a native driver exists?  I tried "chipset S3"
but the card was not recognised.  Alternatively, if the Savage 4 is not
a good choice, which cards should I be looking at to work at a high res?

> > Below is a small test program and its output to demonstrate the problem:
>
> I think vgatest gives you that info.

AFAICT, it doesn't tell about modeinfo flags.  The other reason I posted
my own code was that I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something wrong.