Re: S3 Savage-4, high res, and vga_ext_set()

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Sun 15 Oct 2000 - 22:48:27 IST

> IfI try to do vga_set_ext(VGA_EXT_SET, VGA_CLUT8) anyway, then the
> palette colours and indexes returned by vga_getpalette() or
> gl_getpalettecolour() are still limited to 63.
>
> How can I enable the 0-255 colour scale?

Support for this can be added to the vesa driver, as this option is
supported by vesa 1.2 or newer.
I don't know on which cards it works, though.
This option is not supported on any driver that I wrote, so your program
won't work on most cards.

> Also, is it possible to switch the card to 1600x1200?  I know the card
> can do it because I use this resolution in X-Windows.

The vesa bios does not support this mode, so the only way to use this
mode is to use a native savage driver.

> Below is a small test program and its output to demonstrate the problem:

I think vgatest gives you that info.