Re: Real Time GUI

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Fri 29 Sep 2000 - 19:40:17 IDT

> I've been trying to develop a gui to interact with some rtlinux modules.
> The problem is, when a real time (high priority) task is running in kernel
> space, svgalib degrades in performance:lower update rates and a lag in

Of course, when another, higher priority, task is running then the other
program

> mouse/keyboard handling.Also, I run my little gui, telnet into the
> machine, and run "top".I see that the one svgalib program takes up
> 99% of the cpu. When X is running, it takes up 0.5 % of the cpu.Why is
> this so?

That depends on what the program does. If it is a GUI program, it is
possible that it does busy waiting on input, and then the program needs
to be fixed. The common error in this case is using an _update function
in a loop without any other functions in the loop that puts the process
to sleep. _waitforupdate should be used instead.

> Does anyone know how to keep svgalib robust whenthe system is under heavy
> usage?Such as a way to lower the cpu usage of svgalib or change it's
> priority.

svgalib, as a library does not use any cpu time, or have any
priority. You need to analize your program and see where it spends its
cpu time. If it is somewhere in an svgalib function, please tell me.