Real Time GUI

Search this archive.

From: David P. Nguyen (gte314s@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Fri 29 Sep 2000 - 18:52:56 IDT

Hi All,

I've been trying to develop a gui to interact with some rtlinux modules.
The problem is, when a real time (high priority) task is running in kernel
space, svgalib degrades in performance:  lower update rates and a lag in
mouse/keyboard handling.  Also, I run my little gui, telnet into the
machine, and run "top".  I see that the one svgalib program takes up
99% of the cpu. When X is running, it takes up 0.5 % of the cpu.  Why is
this so?

Does anyone know how to keep svgalib robust when the system is under heavy
usage?  Such as a way to lower the cpu usage of svgalib or change it's
priority.

	Thanks.
	-David