Re: Framebuffer Console Driver

Search this archive.

From: Chris Purnell (cjp@oit.net)
Date: Tue 22 Aug 2000 - 11:01:33 IDT

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 11:37:53AM -0500, Matan Ziv-Av wrote:

> > I've written an svgalib driver that uses the linux framebuffer device.
> > I currently have two versions.One that will run without root privs
> > with a few "if (CHIPSET = FBDEV)"s around some resource allocation
> > in vga.c but does not work with the VGA modes or the BACKGROUND hack.
> > The other works more like a normal svgalib driver and uses the vgadrv
> > for the VGA modes but I've not got this working properly yet.

> Great. Have a look at svgalib-1.9.5, and see if you can integrate the
> resource allocation easier (1.9.5 is working without root privileges
> using a kernel module I wrote).

> > I can put the code for the first one up tonight but I am having problems
> > with the other.

> If you show even a non-working version, I might be able to help.

I've put the one without the VGA modes on my website at
http://www.lost.org.uk/svgalib/ as a patch against 1.4.2.
I've only tested it with Linux 2.4.0-test6 and the Matrox
framebuffer device.

I've had a look at 1.9.5 and I think I'll try and get the
other version working with that one.

--
Christopher John Purnell  | A friend in need's a friend in deed
http://www.lost.org.uk/   | A friend with weed is better