Re: Installation Problems

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Mon 03 Jul 2000 - 18:58:16 IDT

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Steve Madden wrote:

> I am unable to install 1.4.0 or 1.4.1 successfully.Got Jay Link's book
> and tried 1.4.0 from the included disk and then tried 1.4.1 from the
> SVGAlib site.Neither one worked.  Mr. Link's instructions in the book
> were less than crystal clear but following as best I could I got the
> source files copied to /usr/src and unpacked.On running make install,
> I get a couple of cryptic error messages at the very end of the process,
> and I suspect it's not installing completely.Unfortunately, I don't
> havethe text of the errors available here.I'm running a 550 MHz

It's hard to help without knowing the error messages. Please try to copy
them and include in the next message. I'm sure that with the errors
known, the problem could be solved easily.

> pentium III with an ATI RagePro video card.I changed back to that
> video card when I figured out that my newer ATI Xpert 99 card wasn't
> supported.

With a ragepro card, you are advised to use the latest 1.4.2 pre
release. It includes the ragedoubleclock options might be useful.

> I have tried this with two different Linuxes, Red Hat 6.0 and Mandrake
> 7.0.Have also tried it two ways: both uncommenting and not
> uncommenting the crucial "libC" line in Makefile.cfg.Mr. Link
> contradicts himself between p.5 and p.7 on whether you need to do this
> with the above mentioned Linuxes.Apparently it doesn't matter: it
> doesn't work either way.

As far as I can see in both of these pages he says you must uncomment
the line for RH6.
This is actually an example of a book getting old
kind of job. The installation part covers svgalib-1.4.0, in 1.4.1 (and
later) the use_glibc option is unneeded, and indeed, does not exist in
the config file.
Luckily the rest of the book does not get outdated so quickly.

Also, since you are new to linux, why not use the packages included in
the distribution (svgalib and avgalib-devel)?
At least until you manage to install the source distribution.