Installation Problems

Search this archive.

From: Steve Madden (madden@SWVX12.SWMED.EDU)
Date: Mon 03 Jul 2000 - 16:05:52 IDT

I am unable to install 1.4.0 or 1.4.1 successfully.  Got Jay Link's book
and tried 1.4.0 from the included disk and then tried 1.4.1 from the
SVGAlib site.  Neither one worked.  Mr. Link's instructions in the book
were less than crystal clear but following as best I could I got the
source files copied to /usr/src and unpacked.  On running make install,
I get a couple of cryptic error messages at the very end of the process,
and I suspect it's not installing completely.  Unfortunately, I don't
have the text of the errors available here.  I'm running a 550 MHz
pentium III with an ATI RagePro video card.  I changed back to that
video card when I figured out that my newer ATI Xpert 99 card wasn't
supported.

I have tried this with two different Linuxes, Red Hat 6.0 and Mandrake
7.0.  Have also tried it two ways: both uncommenting and not
uncommenting the crucial "libC" line in Makefile.cfg.  Mr. Link
contradicts himself between p.5 and p.7 on whether you need to do this
with the above mentioned Linuxes.  Apparently it doesn't matter: it
doesn't work either way.

Anyway, I am unable to get even the first demo program to compile: using
the -lvga suffix Mr. Link specifies with the gcc instruction, both
Linuxes say they can't find the lvga directory.  There are other
problems, but I'll spare you the gruesome details.  And there the matter
rests.

Having installed two different Linuxes at least twice each over the
weekend, and changed my video card several times, and with no useful
results from any of this, I'm taking a break from Linux at least until
after the fourth of July.  At about 1100 PM last night I was ready to
throw it all in the trash, but I'm mellowed out these days.  More likely
I'll just put it on a shelf in the closet and never look at it again.

However, if there is some simple solution to this problem, I'd love to
hear it.  Please let me know if I got a bad disk and/or bad instructions
in a brand-new book by a Mensa member.  If anybody is interested, I will
be glad to provide more detailed information.

William H. Wingo
Dallas, Texas
wingowh@cs.com