Re: Intelli explorer?

Search this archive.

From: Chris Purnell (cjp@oit.net)
Date: Fri 07 Apr 2000 - 18:48:06 IST

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 06:21:54PM +0200, Pásztor Szilárd wrote:

> Excuse me if it was a topic earlier, but is there a driver for the Microsoft
> intellimouse explorer? This rat has 5 buttons, a wheel and no ball ("red
> light mouse"). I have seen something in the 4.0 X source but only for the
> pS2 mose. This mouse can connect to both the usb port and ps2. However,
> there seems to be an inner limit of the mouse which maxes its samplerate at
> 100Hz for PS/2. So the USB type support would be nice.

> I'd be happy to assist in writing this driver if it doesn't exist but the
> problem is that I don't have this mouse myself. :)

I have just bought one of these mouse.  It works OK using the
IMPS2 drivers.  Except I've not yet tried to get the wheel to
work.

It should not be too difficult to write a native driver for
it.  Looking at the XF86V4 code the difference between it
and the standard intellimouse is that you need to use the
init string of "\363\310\363\310\363\120" instead of
"\363\310\363\144\363\120" in order to get the info on
the two extra buttons.

The only problem I have with it at the moment is that
its resolution is a bit low.  And so movement is a bit
slow without acceleration.  (I don't like mouse
acceleration.)

--
Christopher John Purnell  | A friend in need's a friend in deed
http://www.lost.org.uk/   | A friend with weed is better