Space for improvements

Search this archive.

From: Karel Kulhavy (clock@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz)
Date: Mon 06 Mar 2000 - 23:21:39 IST

Hello

I think about I could improve SVGAlib's stability by consuming some effort to hack
insde it.

I noticed that

1)When SVGAlib is starting and I VT switch, Linux sometimes crashes (or at least the screen)
2)Wild VT switching during SVGAlib running causes damaged palette and unability of SVGAlib application
  to continue displaying correctly
3)Wild VT switching during SVGAlib run causes some other VTs's filled with all 255, I guess (or some other
  uniform garbage)

Please advise me what I should study to comprehend how Linux kernel VT switches work and what signals are
sent where etc.

I noticed the problem 3) at X Server (X was running on VT and text on all other VT's, no SVGAlib in the system!)
on extermely loaded 386 machine. Is it a bug of Linux Kernel or the X Server & SVGAlib?

Best regards

Karel Kulhavy