Re: TTF fonts

Search this archive.

From: Russell Marks (russell.marks@dtn.ntl.com)
Date: Sun 13 Feb 2000 - 16:16:54 IST

> > Now that Matan has made FreeType available for SVGAlib, do you (meaning
> > everyone) think that there should be a standard directory in Linux for TTF
> > files? And if so, where? It would be kind of silly to distribute fonts
> > with every application.
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype seems appropriate to me.

I can see it now...

NEWSFLASH

Experts on the widely-read linux-svgalib mailing list today suggested
that TrueType fonts should be available in a single standard
directory. A spokesman claimed that to think otherwise would be "kind
of silly".

Industry and community reactions were mixed.

Microsoft's Steve Ballmer (who, having taken over the company, plans
to change his name to `William H. Gates IV: The Voyage Home') observed
that the move was "a typical Linux catch-up play. Microsoft's patented
OneDirToRuleThemAll technology brought this innovation to Windows long
before these Linux cowboys brought it up - and we've always said that
everyone else was silly."

Richard Stallman, insane genius and invincible GNU godhead, feared the
suggestion was a disturbing portent. "A standard location for
Microsoft-friendly fonts on a GNU/Linux system shows not how far we
have come, but how far we have to go; we must talk of freedom, not
fonts. What is required is not a single, concentrated source of evil -
uh, I mean, Microsoft influence, but a concerted free software effort
to disseminate GNU/typefaces far and wide. To this end, and to fight
the curse of single-directory single-format fonts, I am founding the
Forward-Facing Far-Flung Free Font Format Foundation (FFFFFFFF)."
Stallman later apologised for his dissemination of saliva on those
present. He suggested the new body could, to avoid further unfortunate
incidents, be referred to as `minus one'.

Eric S. Raymond, open source advocate, took time out from counting his
millions to note that this was the first practical suggestion Stallman
had made in at least ten years. "As I recall, however," Raymond
warned, "the last one was something about how it would be nice to have
a kernel. Be afraid, be very afraid."

Meanwhile, representatives of prominent Linux distributions reacted
positively; they said they "definitely couldn't give a toss".

:-)

Seriously, I think a better idea is to have a standard location (or,
more likely, hierarchy) for fonts of *all* types. We'd certainly want
to include Type 1 fonts, for example (commonly used by both X and
ghostscript, at least). And it's all rather meaningless unless there's
a) a standard set of free fonts you can be `sure' are going to be
there (the URW Type 1 fonts spring to mind), and b) mention of it in a
more appropriate forum.

-Rus.