Re: Continuing Problems

Search this archive.

From: Tony Nugent (tony@growzone.com.au)
Date: Wed 02 Feb 2000 - 04:12:07 IST

On Tue Feb 01 2000 at 14:08, Tim Butler wrote:

> What I did was:
>
> $ ls -l
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 tim users ... test

No, don't do this... don't ever call anything at all "test".  It's a
reserved word, and if this becomes a habit then sooner or later it
will bite you.  Don't even use "test" for variable/function names in
programs etc.

> $ ./test
> svgalib: can't open /dev/console
>
> $ su
> $ chown root.root test
> $ chmod u+s test
> $ exit
>
> $ ls -l
> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root ... test
>
> $ ./test
> You must be the owner of the current console ...

That's where your problem is.  Check the output of this command:

	ls -l $(tty)

Check this out... it applies to redhat 6.x systems, but the same issue
could be biting you here.

http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/RHL-6.1-Manual/ref-guide/s1-sysadmin-console-access.html

(What you want to avoid though is to use root to change the
ownership/permissions on the user's tty/console device file).

> svgalib: cannot get I/O permissions.
>

> I then recompiled svgalib as with the ROOT_VC_SHORTCUT as the FAQ says.
> This made no difference (as detailed in my previous message).
> But I can still run ./test when logged in as root (though I'd rather not!)
>
> I don't think I'm running in a nosuid partition, It's just in a regular
> user area.

No, that's not an issue (or at least is shouldn't be).

> Any pointers, ideas, and things to try, much appreiciated.  Thanks.

Cheers
Tony