Re: SVGAlib

Search this archive.

From: Martijn van Oosterhout (kleptog@cupid.suninternet.com)
Date: Tue 25 Jan 2000 - 13:25:32 IST

token wrote:

> I want to start programming graphics in Linux. Is SVGAlib what I want?

SVGAlib provides framebuffer access to the video card.

> I'm wondering how SVGAlib is on 3D graphics. I have a Matrox Millenium
> G200
> graphics card, will that do? I've heard OpenGL is the fastest API.
> How's
> SVGAlib compared to OpenGL with speed? What's makes OpenGL better if
> it's so?

OpenGL is an API for 3D graphics mainly, SVGALib is merely the to give
access to the video card. Unfortunatly, 3D graphics is not well
supported
outside of X, with the possible exception of 3dfx with glide.

On the plus side, graphics under X means that you can do all your
testing in a window with the debugger behind it, which is very
nice.

Martijn