Re: 24/32 bit mode

Search this archive.

From: Evan G. Wolenzik (wolenzik@interlink-bbs.com)
Date: Wed 17 Nov 1999 - 23:57:51 IST

> is there any way how to enter the true color mode
> under linux ? i can't enter neither 24 bpp nor 32 bpp mode.
> i can't get it there. i tried the simple svgalib as well as the
> x windows. nothing. yeah and hi-color's not working
> either. my video card is (shit) s3 virge dx/gx with 4 megs

Well, perhaps you need a different card? I know that may be a simplistic
answer, but it's probably the truth.

Try this simple app to see what modes you can support:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <vga.h>

int main(void) {

   int i,
       j = 0,
       lastmode = vga_lastmodenumber();

   vga_disabledriverreport();
   vga_init();

   printf("\n\n\n\n\n");

   for (i = 0; i <= lastmode; i++) {
      if (vga_hasmode(i) > 0) {
         printf("Mode %d is supported.\n", i);
      } else {
         printf("Mode %d is NOT supported.\n", i);
      }

      if (j++ == 19)
      {
         printf("\nPress ENTER to continue...\n");
         j = 0;
         getchar();
         printf("\n\n\n\n\n");
      }