Native Linux SVGALIB mega GUI and killer apps

Search this archive.

From: Sergio Masci (sergio@titan.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat 13 Nov 1999 - 03:11:25 IST

Hi Everyone,
I'm not sure how many of you SVGALIB fans are aware of XEBOT but I'm
betting it's a real small percentage. Below is a copy of the announcement
I recently posted to COLA.

Please let me and others know what you think.

Regards
Sergio

----------------------

XEBOT v0.5.0
Lisence type: commercial but FREE evaluation version available for download

Description
    Visual application builder and multiplatform execution environment

Changes since v0.4.02

    Added a new interactive debug mode which allows a developer to set break
    points, single step XPE source code, view the object context ('this'),
    watch variables, manually modify variables (while the code is being
    traced), view the execution path to the current break point, and easily
    navigate functions and methods in the execution path.

    the SVGALIB version is now also available from the same site.

Features
 *  Extremely powerful visual editing interface that allows easy editing
    across files using multiple overlapping windows. The graphics objects
    drawn and edited using the interface have built in intelligence and react
    to the mouse and each other so as to maximize user productivity and
    reduce tedious repetitive setup sequences (see the IPAD sub app
    features for more information on the visual edit capabilities available to
    the developer).

 *  The self contained execution environment of the multiplatform
    IPAD-Pro core which allows apps built using XEBOT to:
     o  run directly on systems without GUI support (e.g. MSDOS or
        DRDOS)
     o  replace the native GUI where it is considered bloated or
        unpredictable.
     o  run on all supported platforms without the usual porting
        overheads. This lets the developer design the app once and use it
        through the same interface on many platforms.

 *  Fast prototyping of partial designs allows icremental interactive
    development of complex specifications between developers and users,
    and greatly accelerates time to market.
     o  The underlying IPAD-Pro core manages many form and dialog
        functions which other GUIs normally require the app take
        responsibility for.
     o  The drag and drop capability of the XEBOT interface lets forms
        and dialogs be quickly built from templates.
     o  The control property editor and code editor of the XEBOT
        interface lets forms and dialogs be quickly and easily tailored.
     o  The concise coding model allows functionality to be quickly and
        easily added to controls.

 *  App development and maintenance is greatly simplified by:
     o  The ability to directly add concise code to controls on a form or
        dialog which does not need to intercept and decode GUI event
        messages.
     o  The ability to directly set or inspect context variables belonging to
        controls (including forms and dialogs).
     o  The ability of controls on a form or dialog to directly interact with
        each other and the user in response to events without the need to
        build and send special messages between the communicating
        components.
     o  The sophisticated API which allows complex data gathering,
        validation and mapping between the IPAD-Pro core and the visual
        components of the app (such as buttons, text entry fields, check
        boxes etc.) There is no need to provide hundreds of API defined
        functions and buffers just to collect data and perform validation
        from myriad's of points within the code.
     o  Code module support allowing components to encapsulate data
        and functionality.

 *  Supports hot swap dynamic linking of externally compiled modules
    allowing in situ upgrades. This is of particular value when the app is part
    of a monitoring or control process since there is no need to reboot the
    system or restart the IPAD-Pro core.

 *  External code (code written in C, C++ and assembler which is linked in
    at run time) can access form or dialog controls simply by name if
    required, with no need for the external code to be given a list of specific
    control IDs by the app or for it to manage such a list (e.g. when
    reporting errors the external code can simply ask for the ID of the
    message box with the name "error_messages" and write to it). This also
    applies to code belonging to other controls or modules.

Examples
    xebot_base - XEBOT interface (defined using xebot)
    This is part of the standard XEBOT distribution package.
    This is the complete XEBOT interface. Modifying this lets you tailor
    XEBOT itself. From it you would normally build your customized
    xebot_tmpl

    xebot_tmpl - XEBOT control templates
    This is part of the standard XEBOT distribution package.
    This is what you would normally build an app from. It is a sub set of
    xebot_base. To use it simply run XEBOT, open a window, load
    xebot_tmpl into it, open another window and copy the controls from the
    template to your work sheet. For more details look at some of the xebot
    demos.

    xebot_demo - boiler temperature monitor
    This is part of the standard XEBOT distribution package.

    calc - fully functional virtual calculator
    This is a proper app that runs in the self contained execution
    environment of IPAD-Pro

XEBOT is currently available for Linux 2.0.x (Intel), Solaris 2.5
(SPARC), OS/2, MS Windows (NT, 95, 98 and 3.1) and MSDOS.

XEBOT can be obtained from:

     http://www.demon.co.uk/titan

Animated demos showing user / GUI interaction, state machine traces
and dialog building can be obtained from:

     http://www.demon.co.uk/titan/DEMO
     (BEWARE: some demos seem to run slowly when viewed using
              some versions of Internet Explorer)