framebuffer in 2.2.x kernels and svgalib-1.3.1

Search this archive.

From: Tony Nugent (Tony.Nugent@usq.edu.au)
Date: Sun 01 Aug 1999 - 07:32:29 IDT

The current version of svgalib in redhat 6.0 (and rawhide) does not
seem to be able to support the new kernel framebuffer.  eg, you can do
"restoretextmode -w", but "restoretextmode -r" does not work to do the
restoration properly.  (At least not on the various different boxes I
have tried this on).  Unless I've missed something, the new fbset
utility seems be be almost useless for this sort of thing.

I must admit that I haven't had a chance to look at the current 1.4.x
releases of svgalib (not yet, very soon) with respect to this issue,
but if it _is_ working, then I'd like to suggest that they (redhat) be
asked to consider issuing an update package to fix this problem.

(Admittedly, using the framebuffer text modes is nice to get little
Tux(es) up there looking pretty, but it isn't a "vital" issue.  But it
would be nice to be able to have it all working seamlessly.  vga=775
gives you a lot of screen to work with :)

Cheers
Tony