Re: running quake on RH6 with a RivaTNT2 video card

Search this archive.

From: Tony Nugent (Tony.Nugent@usq.edu.au)
Date: Sun 01 Aug 1999 - 07:11:59 IDT

On Sat Jul 31 1999 at 09:24, Craig wrote:

> I have installed the glx driver for my TNT2 and with Mesa library for X.
> How can I get Quake 2 to run using GL now?

> Matan Ziv-Av wrote:
>
> > > Has anyone got quake I and/or II running on a linux box (redhat6.0
> > > here) with a 32Mb Riva TNT2 card?

> > You ask on an svgalib list, so I first answer about svgalib:
> > svgalib-1.4.1 supports Riva TNT/TNT2, so if you want to use quake (which
> > is a libc5 binary), download the libc binaries from

Thanks for the replies, this is exactly the sort of info I was fishing
for.

> > At least about Quake2, you can do a lot better by downloading the
> > accelerated glx server from nvidia, and use 3D accelerated Quake2.

I too already have the glx X server running on these boxes (12
identical clients with these cards in them, nfsroot booted on a fast
100Mbit subnet.  Quake multiplayer in this little network is a real
blast! :-)

But how to get quake to use the glx driver?  It already works in
software-rendered mode (still way cool), but the 3d options crash it
out, some leaving things in ugly states (keyboard in raw mode, etc).
What glide and mesa/opengl libs do I need?

> For quake2, download the glibc2 version from id, download the source of
> the pre-release of svgalib-1.4.1 from my page, compile and install.

Quake also uses svgalib (I believe only for mouse and keyboard input?
- I'm not sure).  But trying this new version might just be the key to
get it working...

Thanks again.  If I do get it all working, I'll post a summary here.

Cheers
Tony