Re: Mach64 driver?

Search this archive.

From: Matt Roberds (mroberds@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun 04 Jul 1999 - 04:02:13 IDT

>From: Matan Ziv-Av <zivav@CS.bgu.ac.il>
>Subject: Re: Mach64 driver?
>
>The newer pre-release of 1.4.0 (available from www.svgalib.org) contain a
>rage driver that works on RagePro cards.

I grabbed that version and compiled it, but it keeps complaining of
"Rage driver not installed" or similar.  I let it autodetect my chipset
and it works OK, but I can't get the higher VGA modes.  If I force
"chipset=rage" in libvga.config, it can't load.

I'm pretty sure I got the Rage driver compiled in to the source.  I did
it a couple of times and even re-unpacked the source and rebuilt it,
so I'm pretty sure it's in there.  I think it's trying to tell me that
the Rage driver can't talk to my card.

The manual for my card says it's an "ATI GX Mach 64".  It's an older
PCI card - it came stock in my GW2K P5/100 in May of 1995.

Is there something I'm not doing in the build process?  I looked through
the docs and ran the build a couple of times, so I think I have it right,
but it's possible I'm not picking up the Rage driver somehow.

>With rage driver should be real easy to support any PCI/AGP Mach64 cards
>with internal DAC (CT or newer). Even for older cards, the rage.c driver
>should be a better bet than the old mach64 driver, since it supports the
>newer features of svgalib.

I don't know what the history of the model numbers are, but I bet mine
is older than the CT.  I will take a look at the rage.c driver and the
old "This driver does not work" mach64.c driver to see if I need to
modify the autodetect code or something.

If anyone has any other tips or suggestions they would be very much
appreciated.  Thanks!!

Matt Roberds
mroberds@worldnet.att.net