Re: URGENT - screen stuck in graphics mode

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (zivav@CS.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Sun 18 Apr 1999 - 22:47:20 IDT

> Apparently he was playing with svgalib and finished with a corrupt
> terminal display - except for X.
>
> As I run a Plain Jane 80x24 console, can anyone see any problems
> with me running the savetextmode programme on my machine and
> mailing the file to Rob who can use this and the restoretextmode
> utility ?

It won't work unless you have the exact same card. Also, the card must be
supported by svgalib (the VESA driver probably won't work).

> Assistance ASAP in this case would be appreciated as he has a great
> uptime record and therefore doesn't want to reboot justto fix
> a cranky display :)

Latest svgalib snapshot has a util called mode3 in the lrmi subdirectory.
All this program does is call the bios to se video mode 3 (80x25 standard
text mode). It should work on all cards where the VESA driver works, but
also on others. It works on my RagePro and AT25 cards, where the VESA
driver does not work.

--
Matan Ziv-Av          zivav@cs.bgu.ac.il

Vote MAKI - the Israeli Communist party