(no subject)

Search this archive.

From: larsf@hashbang.org
Date: Sat 27 Mar 1999 - 16:16:56 IST

Hi there,

I am running RedHat 5.2 (currently with kernel 2.0.36). My problem is that
in X Windows my screen flickers (horizontal lines) when I move or re-size
windows - the resolution I am trying to run with is 1600x1200 in 24 bit. If
I try running with 8 bit, it works fine.

The graphic card is a Matrox Mystique (8MB), which is a couple of years old,
and the monitor is a Sony Multiscan 20sh (20 inches). I am using the
HSync/VSync specifications from the manual.

I have tried the following, without any result:

* Swtiched from standard VGA cable to a RGB / BNC cable.
* Upgraded the XF86_SERVER to version 3.3.3.1
* Upgraded the Mystique bios to version 1.8 (which should be the latest).
* Tried messing around with xvidtune.
* Tried both lower and higher dot clock frequencies (standard is 162).

Under Windows NT I run 1600x1200 in 16 bit (it can't go higher), and the
RAMDAC speed is 170 MHz and the screen refresh rate is 60 MHz. Altough this
may not optimal, it works without any flicker.

In the XFree FAQ this problem is mentioned - but only with Matrox G100
cards.

Any sugesstions are welcome! Please reply directly to me, as I don't
subscribe to this list.

Kidn regards,
Lars Falch