version numbers

Search this archive.

From: Sergio Masci (sergio@titan.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue 02 Mar 1999 - 01:31:58 IST

Hi all,

As a lowkey supporter of SVGALIB I was really pleased to discover that
SVGALIB was moving towards using the video BIOS present in video cards
to setup the graphics modes of the cards.

I am a little concerned that although SVGALIB has taken a sharp change
in direction (between 1.2.x and 1.3.x) that the version number is now
going to change to 1.4.x. I feel strongly that all new versions from
1.3.x should have actually been 2.x.x. Many people seeing SVGALIB 1.3.x
would expect it to be a better and more stable version than 1.2.x and
finding that they have problems with it would not think of going back
to 1.2.x. Would the people responsible for new versions of SVGALIB please
consider changing 1.3.x to 2.0.x and 1.4.x to 2.1.x.

Regards
Sergio Masci

http://www.demon.co.uk/titan