recurring svgalib problem?

Search this archive.

From: Andrew Ashton (canoehead@shaw.wave.ca)
Date: Fri 12 Feb 1999 - 01:53:48 IST

One day I had to re-compile my kernel to allow support for some extra
networking abilites and when I booted up the new kernel suddenly I could
no longer use any graphical programs (it gave me a segmentation fault).
svgalib is and has always autodetected my vid card, but when I did some
debugging on various programs I found out that my card was being detected
as a cirrus (it is actually an S3 ViRGE 325).  When I tried forcing S3
through /etc/vga/libvga.conf I got some graphic noise on every terminal (I
later found out that svgalib was assuming I had an S3 trio64).  The card
works fine if I force vga but I need high res. for some classes I'm
taking.  I checked with a friend who has had linux for a few years longer
than me and found that he had the same exact problem but he gave up and
just went with VESA (I can use VESA too of course but again I lose my high
res. capabilities).

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Thanks,
Andrew Ashton.