Re: Matrox Mystique and SVGALib

Search this archive.

From: Panos Katsaloulis (teras@writeme.com)
Date: Tue 02 Feb 1999 - 14:49:09 IST

Looks like a lot of people has problems with the Matrox Mystique card :-(

So, I decided to give more information about what happened with me and
svgalib - so maybe someone may help !

 * I have SuSE 5.3 distribution with libc installed and kernel 2.0.35, I don't
know if this is important...

 * I downloaded the latest 1.4.1 version of svgalib.

* Before installing anything I deleted the old libraries from my system, just
to be sure...

* Now some info about my Makefile.cfg - maybe I do something wrong :-(

directories: I don't change anything...

TARGET_FORMAT = elf
# USEGLIBC = yes
ROOT_VC_SHORTCUT = y
#BACKGROUND = y
#ONE_MAP = y
#INSTALLSTATICLIB = installstaticlib
INSTALLSHAREDLIB = installsharedlib
INSTALLAOUTLIB = installaoutcompat
KEEPSHAREDLIBS = keep
INSTALLUTILS = installutils
INSTALLMAN = installman
MANFORMAT = compressed

Then, I comment out ALL drivers, except
INCLUDE_VESA_DRIVER = y

I comment out ALL autodetect, except
INCLUDE_VESA_DRIVER_TEST = y

- If I leave OAK driver uncommented, then the svga lib autodetects MAtrox
Mystique as OAK - which is of course wrong !

I comment out ALL dac support.
I comment out ALL dac support autodetect.

SVGALIB_CONFIG_FILE = $(datadir)/libvga.config
# DYNAMIC=y
#USE_CLOCKS = y
ALLOW_MOUSE_OVERRIDE = y

Compiler section: I don't do any changes.

 * When I first tried to compile, I saw some warnings with "io.h" (and some
other files too). When I created some symlinks form
/usr/linux/include/asm-i386 the compilation worked o.k.

 * I do "make clean" & "make install"

 * I do some changes in /etc/vga/libvga.config:

chipset VGA
#chipset VESA

The demo programs (al least some of them) work fine.

 * I change it to:
# chipset VGA
chipset VESA

 * Now I have the following symptoms:
When I try to run a program (which run O.K. with VGA) I hear some strange
noises and either I loose the console (I have to [ALT]+[F2]) or I see a blank
screen (must hard reset - [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DEL] doesn't work :-(

 * The lrmi program vbetest makes a list of video modes and after selecting a
number I have the same symptoms. Same with mode3.

 * I have already updated the BIOS to the latest version from the site of
Matrox.

That's all  - I hope you can help me! :-)