Re: VBE3.0 driver and asm question

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@arava.co.il)
Date: Tue 05 Jan 1999 - 11:39:47 IST

> There could be a problem with VBE3.0 :)

I did not even get as far as calling the bios, so problems with
VBE3.0 don't yet get into the picture.

> I know about it, I know that it supports even accelerated functions, but
> there is no implementation of this. The VESA organisation released this
> spec' to late...

VBE/AF is the one that supports acceleration, but it's spec is still
"vesa members only." VBE/AF was before VBE3.0, but is not included in
VBE3.

> Most of the users have only VBE1.2 in their BIOS-es, they can't use even
> framebuffer because of this. That because the BIOS space limit is set
> to 32kB. The _BIG_ problem, (allways VESA VBE had this problem) is that
> there can't be found correct (bugfree) implementations of
> the VESA specifications.

If a card fails setting mode with the vesa driver, the problem is not
bugs in the vesa implementation, but rather non-protect-mode clean. As
VBE3 is protected mode code, that problem should not exist.
I know my STB 128 has VBE3 support.
more importantly, Banshee which has no driver, and does not work with
the current VESA driver has vbe3 support.
>From what I heard most new cards has this.

> With Windoze domination, there is no interest in supporting VESA
> specifications, anymore. So, you'll hardly find even a TSR upgrade to
> VBE2.0. SciTech tried this (you know UNIVBE) for all chipsets, but how can
> use them in Linux ?

It can be done easily (assuming its a .COM), or with many hardships
(if its an EXE).
Is there a reason to do it?

> If SciTech(www.scitechsoft.com) will decide to support Linux sistems...
> because with Windows, they have no more hopes to survive.

There is an SDD for linux, but currently only X server in the beta
they released. They promised svgalib support, so I still hope on that
one.

Now the question:

how do I give a specific address in asm
I want something like __asm__ ("sgdt &base")
it does work with "sgdt 12345678", but how do I put there a variable?

Matan Ziv-Av.        zivav@cs.bgu.ac.il