Re: VBE3.0 driver

Search this archive.

From: Doru MARIN (dmarin@deuroconsult.ro)
Date: Mon 04 Jan 1999 - 16:19:52 IST

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Matan Ziv-Av wrote:

> I have the VBE3.0 specification (they are now available from vesa's
> wesite), and it seems that it is possible to write an svgalib driver
> that uses VBE3.0 in protected mode.
>
> The second reuirement (calling a specific address) I don't have an
> idea how to do.
>
> Any help is wanted.

There could be a problem with VBE3.0 :)
I know about it, I know that it supports even accelerated functions, but
there is no implementation of this. The VESA organisation released this
spec' to late...
Most of the users have only VBE1.2 in their BIOS-es, they can't use even
framebuffer because of this. That because the BIOS space limit is set
to 32kB. The _BIG_ problem, (allways VESA VBE had this problem) is that
there can't be found correct (bugfree) implementations of
the VESA specifications.
With Windoze domination, there is no interest in supporting VESA
specifications, anymore. So, you'll hardly find even a TSR upgrade to
VBE2.0. SciTech tried this (you know UNIVBE) for all chipsets, but how can
use them in Linux ?
If SciTech(www.scitechsoft.com) will decide to support Linux sistems...
because with Windows, they have no more hopes to survive.

Doru Marin <dmarin@deuroconsult.ro>