Re: vga=5 lilo boot video mode

Search this archive.

From: Tony Nugent (Tony.Nugent@usq.edu.au)
Date: Tue 01 Dec 1998 - 08:30:20 IST

On Mon Nov 30 1998 at 17:14, r00t the LiNuXeRRR wrote:

You're lucky I'm going to answer you... you have posted this to far too
many email lists (some of which I've edited out - you had no consideration
that any replies from non-subscribed people to some of these lists will get
rejected).  And many of these lists are totally irrelevant to your problem
- close to a total spam.  Very ugly.  Don't do it.  Next time try one or
two lists and leave it at that to wait for any useful reply before shouting
in other places.

Anyhow...

> 	I just installed RedHat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36 final), enabled vga=5
> Console: colour VGA+ 80x34 as I usually do, and everithing is O.K. until it
> finished loading the kernel then somewhere around these lines in the
> init scripts it turns to 80/29... ARGHHH! I hate that!!!
> I mut fix it but I dunno how?! Please help me.

If you have bothered to go through the /etc/rc.sysinit script with RH5.2
you would have found the answer... there is a call to /sbin/setfont (or is
it /sbin/setsysfont ? - can't recall, I'm not on my 5.2 box at the moment).

Why this has been done I have no idea.  IMHO it shouldn't happen but
someone in their infinite wisedome has decided that it should (and
therefore undo any lilo/kernel parameters).  I've commented out those lines.

Try using SVGATextMode, it's very good (and allows me some amazing console
resolutions like 160x100 with a 17" monitor :-)

Cheers
Tony