Re: Problems with MS serial mouse v2.1a and svgalib-1.3.0

Search this archive.

From: David Goodlad (dgoodlad@junction.net)
Date: Mon 24 Aug 1998 - 21:09:52 IDT

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Peter 'Joorin Ashes' Flystam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got these odd problems with getting my MS serial v2.1a mouse to
work
> under svgalib-1.3.0.
> As you might know for this mouse to work for example under XFree86 one
has
> to run gpm-1.13 and tell the X-server that /dev/gpmdata is the mouse
> device.
> I think that's what I need to do in some way to make my mouse work in
> LinuxQuake. Have you encountered this problem before or do you have
any
> tips except setting mouse type to gpm in /etc/vga/vgalib.config?

If you want to use gpm (which is actually very choppy, I can't stand it)
with quake in linux, I believe that not only do you have to put "mouse
Microsoft" and "mdev /dev/gpmdata" (without the quotes and on separate
lines) in /etc/vga/libvga.config, but when you're starting quake, you've
got to run it with the command-line-option "-mdev /dev/gpmdata".

Hope this helps,
David