1.3.0 wheel mouse update

Search this archive.

From: Brion Vibber (brion@pobox.com)
Date: Mon 01 Jun 1998 - 22:25:39 IDT

Hello everyone, I've updated the wheel mouse support (for MS
IntelliMouse, Logitech MouseMan+, and friends) for svgalib 1.3.0, based
on the 20 May source release. It has successfully been tested on a MS
IntelliMouse and a Logitech FirstMouse+, both of the PS/2 variety. So
far no serial mice have been tested.

This vesion now allows for something functional to happen when the wheel
is turned: fake keypresses are simulated, one scancode for turning up,
another for turning down. It may only work with apps using raw keyboard
support, I've so far only tested it with Quake and Quake2. ;)

The scancodes sent are specified by the user in the config file, I have
updated the sample config file to include directions and an example. In
order to avoid requiring the user to look up keyboard scancodes for the
keys to simulate, symbolic names are used; basically I took the
constants from keyboard/vgakeyboard.h and removed SCANCODE_ from them.
The code's a little ugly, and it would be better to allow either
numerical scancodes, quoted characters ('A', "[", etc, where
applicable), or the descriptive names (ENTER, PAGEDOWN, etc), and it
will be majorly overhauled in the near future. Also this code could be
used in the keyboard code for the fake mouse events, which require a
keyboard scancode as well, currently implemented only as a numerical
value.

Note that the wheel-turning events are instantaneous, unlike a
click.....release, so sustained simulated keypresses aren't possible.
(If someone would like to prove me wrong with some creative coding, feel
free!)

Anyone with such a mouse is encouraged to test this patch; anyone
without such a mouse is encouraged also to test it and make sure I
didn't break anything else in the process.

The patch can be obtained at
http://pobox.com/~brion/linux/svgalib-1.3.0-wheel-0.2.patch.gz

If there is any interest I will backport this patch to svgalib 1.2.13; I
also have an earlier patch (no fake kbd events) available, see
http://pobox.com/~brion/linux/svgalib-wheel-0.1.tar.gz

Comments welcome... enjoy!

-- brion vibber (brion@pobox.com)