VESA driver

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (zivav@indigo.cs.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Mon 01 Jun 1998 - 17:04:20 IDT

I wrote a VESA driver, but it works only on one of the three
cards I tested it on.

The ability to call 16 bit BIOS comes from a package called lrmi
that I lost the URL for, but is available from
<http://www.arava.co.il/at3d/lrmi-0.1.tar.gz>

The package includes a filprogram called vbetest.

On a STB Velocity 128, both vbetest and my driver work.

On an AT25 card and a CL-5446 card both vbetest and the
driver don't work.

The driver is available at:
http://www.arava.co.il/at3d/svgalib-1.3.0.tar.gz - a complete snapshot of
                                                   svgalib
http://www.arava.co.il/at3d/vesa.diff.gz - a patch against the 20/5
                                           snapshot
http://www.arava.co.il/at3d/libvga.so.1.3.0.tar.gz - binaries.

Please test this driver (especially on chipsets not supported by svgalib)
and report successes / failures to me.

Before testing the driver, please try the vbetest program from
the lrmi package, but note that if it fails it does not mean that
the driver should not work, since vbetest  expects VBE2 while the driver
should work on VBE1.2.

(If the driver does not autodetect, or you have a supported chipset,
pleasse force it's use by adding a line "chipset VESA 0 0" to your
libvga.conf file.)

Matan Ziv-Av          zivav@cs.bgu.ac.il