problems with Radeon 7500

Search this archive.

From: Stas Sergeev (stssppnn@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun 25 Aug 2002 - 03:41:13 IDT

Hello.

I was very happy to find out that Radeon 7500
is finally supported so I want to thank all the
SVGAlib developers.
But I have some problems with it:
Only SVGAlib's demos and zgv are working for me,
other programs are not.
My card have an RV200-QW chipset (windows identifies
it that way) and 64Mb DDR ram.

Doom (downloaded from rpmfind.net) shows nothing,
just a blank screen. But it doesn't locks up, I can
hear sound and can exit blindly.
What I see at console is this:
---
pll: 2700 12 12000 40000 18000
Using ATI Radeon driver, 65536KB.
svgalib 1.9.16
svgalib: Failed to initialize mouse.
framebuf = 0x40017000
---
When VGA chipset is used, doom works fine.

Same thing happens with Arachne browser.

Dosemu (version 1.1.3.2) configured for SVGAlib
also doesn't work: it enters the loop in
R128PLLWaitForReadUpdateComplete() (called from
R128RestoreMode() ), spins there for several
hundreds cycles and then for some misterious
reasons receives SIGSEGV right inside that loop
and dies (printf() that I put after the loop
never executes). After that I have to press SAK
in order to bring the system back alive.

All that progs used to work with SVGAlib on my
S3 Trio 64 V+.

Any ideas such as how can I run that progs or how
can I track down that problems?
Have anyone had any luck running those?

My whish is to finally being able to run
dosemu in console mode so that I can use
all the video modes I can use in real dos.
This was possible with my old S3, but Radeon
behaves strangely: some VESA modes are working
fine under dosemu, but when setting up some
other modes, Radeon's video bios is trying to
access the ports from the range 0x9800-0x98ff,
which dosemu doesn't allow to access. So that
modes doesn't work. Same problem I have also
under WinNT: dos programs can not set up some
VESA modes. I wonder if it is possible
to allow an access to some of that ports to
get all the VESA modes working? Allowing an
access to all of them just locks up my machine.

Thanks for any help.