Re: Guaranteed return to text mode

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Mon 05 Aug 2002 - 22:26:39 IDT

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Kevin Quitt wrote:

> I'm working with an embedded system that displays a graphic a boot load, and
> leaves the system in graphics mode when it's done.Naturally, this makes
> development a little difficult.If I run a program using SVGAlib, everything
> is fine (in so far as the graphics are concerned).
>
> Is there any sure-fire way to get back to text mode, given that we don't start
> in text mode?

Svgalib resotres the mode the card was in when the program starts, since
always setting text mode will not work ok when fbdev is in use.

If your embedded system is X86 based, and the video chipset has vesa
bios, you can try using mode3 or vga_reset to set text mode. Otherwise,
you can use savetextmode/restoretextmode programs. You only need to run
savetextmode once (even on a different system, but with same display
chipset), and use that data file for restoring text mode.