gl_copyboxfromcontext() versus gl_copyscreen()

Search this archive.

From: Jay Link (jlink@ilbbs.com)
Date: Sun 05 May 2002 - 17:00:02 IDT

Hi --

Let's say I'm using gl's virtual screen, and I have a "perfect" copy of my
physical screen there.

Now, let's say I have 10 moving objects (sprites). As they move, I will
need to restore their background, and I will get the restore data from the
virtual screen.

This restoration will need to happen about once a second.

Would it be more efficient to do 10 separate gl_copyboxfromcontext()
calls, or one single gl_copyscreen() to wipe out / restore the entire
screen?

If it matters, my screen size will be 640 x 480 pixels, and each sprite
will be up to 50 x 50 pixels.

Thanks,

-Jay Link