Re: Drawing in secondary graphics card

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Fri 03 May 2002 - 11:13:07 IDT

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Nicolas Cottaris wrote:

> I have an nVidia Quadro Pro 2 (AGP) and an ATI Radeon 7000 (PCI)
> cards installed in my computer. How can I instruct svgalib to draw in
> the PCI (secondary) card?

The main problem with this is that there are still some problems with
radeon cards. I got some reports of radeon working, and some of not
working, but have yet to find a pattern.

Assuming we can solve that:

The first thing to do is to initialize the card. This usually can only
be done by the card's bios, so the way to do it is to use x86emu package
(this is what XFree does). You can find it at
http://www.arava.co.il/matan/svgalib/x86emu-0.6.tar.gz
Just edit debug.h to set CONFIG_ACTIVE_DEVICE to 0, compile and run
vbios.x86emu (or vbios.v86). You should then see on the monitor
connected to the secondary card the bios initialization screen.

The second step is to configure svgalib - the following lines need to be
added to the config file:
novccontrol
secondary
chipset r128

(the chipset line is there to make sure svgalib won't trry to use the
nvidia card).

That's it. Now run vgatest, and see if it works.