Re: using svgalib on 'screen': You must be the owner of the current

Search this archive.

From: Matan (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Wed 30 Jan 2002 - 12:18:00 IST

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Johannes Zellner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if I'm running svgalib in screen (a terminal mutliplexer, see
> http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/screen.html) and try to
> use svgalib I get the following message:
>
>   You must be the owner of the current console to use svgalib.
>   Not running in a graphics capable console,
>   and unable to find one.
>
> I'm using svgalib 1.9.12.
> What's the problem?

I think using screen is the same (as far as svgalib is concerned) as
running telnet localhost, so svgalib does not know the program is
actually running on the local console.
I am not sure it's a good idea to run an svgalib program from a screen
session - when you try to move to another window, svgalib won't catch
that (as it catches vc switches), so you will now run a program that
thinks it's in text mode, but the video card is actually in graphics
mode.

I guess that the only real solution is to add support for screen, the
same as there is support for linux virtual consoles.