S3 Virge documentation wanted

Search this archive.

From: Jari Tuominen (ehc50@kanetti.net)
Date: Thu 03 Jan 2002 - 13:58:04 IST

Hello,

I am currently making a S3 driver for S3 Virge 325 and 375.
My goal is not very special, I just want to come up with 640x480 256c graphic mode.
I have been looking at both SVGALIB source and XFree86 source of S3 support. But there's no table based videomode setups, most of the things look pretty "programmed in" stylish.

My way to create a very simplistic driver would be to read the Display Adapter's registers(S3 375) directly when a videomode is setupped and save it to a file. Then later on use the data to bring up the same videomode on.

I am now looking for *any* documentation available of S3 chips.

If you guys know any documentation, or could provide any, I would be more than glad...

TNT2 and Rage128 documentation would be also preferred, but seems like ATI won't provide documentation for such small software creators such like I am. I don't even want to mention the same situation with nvidia, I heard it's much much worser.

ps. already got the basic vgalib(640x480 16c) working inside my own kernel...

keep the svgalib up

- Jari