Re: Svgalib for MS-DOS, Off-Topic

Search this archive.

From: Hermang Mansilla (herman_blues@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat 15 Dec 2001 - 07:23:50 IST

On Friday 14 December 2001 20:36, Mihai Cartoaje wrote:
> also sprach Frederic Reinhardt:
> > I want to port a svgalib-Game to MS-DOS. So, is there a port of svgalib
> > for MS-DOS available ?
Hi,
I know that this is not what you asked, but I just want to let you know:
If you want to program for D.O.S. , Windows and Linux and want to use the
graphic capabilities of Svgalib, I have a suggestion:
check the Euphoria programming language
www.rapideuphoria.com

There are several svgalib wrappers  that lets you use Svgalib graphics.
It is the faster interpreter language I have seen, some benchmarks show that
it is 30 times faster than Perl, (I did verified that ,running the Benchmarks
in Mandrake 8.0 )
One of the useful  built-in commands in Euphoria is opendll which opens and
uses any Library from Windows *.DLL or Linux *.so. This is the way that
svgalib is used.
I have just "discovered" Euphoria 4 days ago and now I am porting some
games and fractal programs. (It is very easy to use, you will forget all the
"malloc"  and pointer nightmares from C )
bye,
-Hermang