Re: Bug report - svgalib 1.9.11 - r128 driver

Search this archive.

From: Marc D. Williams (marcdw@charter.net)
Date: Sun 30 Sep 2001 - 11:50:04 IST

> The r128 bug that you finds seems to be the cause for the long standing
> "sync lost" problem. The driver works fine after adding the lines
>
>     save->amcgpio_en_reg   = INREG(R128_AMCGPIO_EN_REG);
>     save->amcgpio_mask     = INREG(R128_AMCGPIO_MASK);
>
> In the function R128InitCommonRegisters(). Michal, can you check if it
> also works for you?

Is this applicable to 1.4.3, too?
I haven't been able to use zgv in ages due to the monitor turning
off/going out of sync and system totally locking up with
a Rage 128 card (Xpert 2000).
I added the above lines and retried zgv. On the first jpeg
everything went black and system was locked (couldn't login remotely
or do alt-sysrq-<whatever>).
Only difference this time is the monitor didn't turn off.

Going back a bit in the list I see a similar zgv problem and
a possible workaround in r128.c.

> Subject: Re: r128: hard freeze (zgv) - 26 July
> remove the line
>     OUTREG(R128_GEN_RESET_CNTL,   restore->gen_reset_cntl);
>
> Also, add a line
>      save->config_cntl        = INREG(R128_CONFIG_CNTL);

So I did that too and it would seem that it works.
I went through a number of images with zgv, large and small, no
problems or lockups.
There have been times in the past though when I think it's
working just to have it mess up again so I'll play with it
awhile. If I can view a dozen or more images without lockup
then I'd say it works.

BTW, not sure if it applies to the r128 stuff but I have
  RageDoubleClock
set in libvga.conf. It was unset at the time of the lockup.

Marc