settings questions

Search this archive.

From: Faux_Pseudo (Faux_Pseudo@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu 27 Sep 2001 - 12:15:59 IST

If you can answer even one of these questions you will be one of my
new best friends.

I have recompiled the svga code and made the demo programes.
I can only get the following demoprograms working.
bankspeed
scrolltest
testgl
vgatest
vgatweak

Now if I can get those to work why can't I get seejpeg or zgv to
display any pics at all?

Why is it that no matter what setings I put for the HorizSync or
VertRefresh fields I get a "Monitor setting from environment denied"?

Why even though I have mouse set to none I get:
svgalib: Failed to initialize mouse.

I have manualy reset the SVGALIB_CONFIG_FILE to make sure it is being
read but still get no results.

I even tried brute forceing the timeings useing the util gtfcalc
in this script.

export X=29
until [[ $X > 75 ]] ; do
    ./gtfcalc 320 200 $X Hz 2>> /vgalib
    export X=$((++X))
    echo trying $X Hz
    seejpeg -s 1 /name/of/some/jpg
done

Still no results.  It seems odd to me that in the settings for the
timeings you get your choice of say 800 x 600 and Hz but you dont get
to choose the color depth.  Is it just me or is this strange?

I have determand with vgatest that the best modes i am capable of are
640x480x16 or 360x480x256.  Although according to my bios's self test
I sould beable to get 800x600x16.  How can vgatest find a valid
setting but trying to get one that works outside of the test
invironment is a no go.

--
 --(tty1@faux.local|04:45|/home/faux)-- cat .sig
GUI's are for slackers.  Get ibpconf.sh 6.1 on freshmeat.net